About us - Contact us  
deskdemon logo
DeskDemon US Click here for DeskDemon US 
 Browse Forum Recent Topics  

Welcome to the DeskDemon Forums
You will need to Login in or Register to post a message. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My boss doesn't read his email!  (Read 2448 times)
gabby72

View Profile
« on: January 20, 2006, 09:03:08 pm »

I am an Exec Asst working for a VP.  He receives TONS of email everyday.  My dliema.  He doesn't read it. I am trying to find ways to manage him better...a new system of some sort.  I've printed his email, sorted it into folders but doesn't seem to work.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?

countrigal
Global Moderator

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2006, 09:05:24 pm »

Have you visited with him to determine what e-mail, if any, he would want to read?  Perhaps it's not that he doesn't want to read them, but that he feels inundated with too many superflous e-mails and even with the way you broke them out for him he wasn't able to wade through them for those he felt were important.  Perhaps sitting down with him and discussing it may give you some insight into why he's not reading them and then better allow you to develop a means of managing them for him.

CountriGal
Peer Moderator
gee4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2006, 10:27:04 am »

Gabby,

CG is right.  You have to establish how he wants this to work for you both going forward.  There is no point trying to second guess without talking to him.  My advice would be to sit down with him and ascertain what is the best way forward.  One suggestion would be to set up a "cc" box for mail that he is copied on.  The way I worked this for a previous boss is that if someone is cc'd on mail, then it's only for info and not priority.

G

misslynn

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2006, 07:39:36 am »

My VP never reads his e-mail either, it all goes through me.

When I first started working with my boss, I went through with him what e-mails he wants to see and what he doesn't.  I also encourage him to share with me what he's working on and what's important to him as much as he can so that when I see e-mails I know which of them he needs to see.

As I read his e-mails throughout the day I make a list of which ones he needs and what the basic message of them were.  He just wants to know the bottom-line so when I talk to him, I go down the list of messages from the day and if he needs more info on any of them, he'll ask and I'll give it to him.    

If there are any that need a response, I'll either write a response on his behalf or he'll quickly dictate something to me as we're going down the list.

It's a system that works very well for us.

kathym76

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2006, 04:03:39 pm »

I do basically what misslynn does except the cc box.  I like that idea.  

Also, my  boss and I sat down and discussed what messages he needs to see and what he doesn't.  We utlize the flags in Outlook -- I note the flagged msgs and bring them to his attention. I will respond on his behalf most of the time.

Sometimes I cc  him on my responses because sent messages on his behalf are in my sent box or I will move the sent msg. to his "sent" box from  mine.  It just depends.

gingerm

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 04:16:04 am »

My boss uses a software that automatically deletes junk email, which seems to help. It definitely cuts the number of emails to a manageable amount per day, which might be half the battle. When someone has to go through and manually deleting the obvious junk it takes a lot of time (and patience).

I'm not sure how it works...maybe by comparing the emails to a list of known spammers or by subject line contents.

Perhaps download.com would have a free trial of such a software that you could try before talking to him about it so you understand how it works and how well it works.

You will need to Login in or Register to post a message.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: